Seven Tips for Great Sessions
Click the links to see more information about each tip to get the most out of MathElf sessions.
- This may take up to 1 minute - watch for the student initials to appear and listen for audio connection tones.
- Sessions with paying users will have live video to enhance your sessions. Be sure to greet your student in full screen video mode, with yourself in frame.
- Find out what they know already and what help they need. Our Triage Guide can help.
- Encourage students to do any steps that they can. Don’t do their homework for them!
- Help when students are confused or stuck. Provide details on concepts they don’t know.
- Free students have a five-minute minimum session length.
- Provide details on topics where a student needs help.
- The student’s remaining minutes are displayed at the top of the whiteboard.
- Let students know when they’re low on time, but don’t rush to finish.
- Encourage students to add minutes now to keep working or reconnect with you when they add minutes later.
- Show them how to use their whiteboard (which is different than yours!), add minutes, and work with you again.
- In addition to relationship building during sessions, you can use Parent Notes and Messaging outside of sessions to connect with students and their families.