Students have lots of options for buying minutes: during a session, in the app, or online.
During a Session
When your student has only a few minutes left:
- Choose a good point to talk about MathElf: between problems or parts of a problem if you can.
- Set expectations. Let your student know that they are almost out of minutes and that the option to buy minutes will appear when their minutes run out.
- If your student is not a college student or adult, it's a great idea to ask if you can talk to a parent.
- Explain that they can buy minutes now and your session will not end - you can go back to work right away!
- Be sure they know that, if they can't buy minutes now, they can do it later on the Buy tab in their app.
- Point out special features for paying users like live video and messaging.
Students can purchase minutes during a session at any time by tapping the minutes countdown at the top of the screen. This opens the buy minutes modal. The modal opens automatically when a student runs out of minutes.
Here's what you'll see when the student views the buy minutes modal:
After your student adds minutes, you can return to the whiteboard to keep working, but don't teach while they're on this screen. Audio stays connected so that you can talk to your student (or their parent) and answer any questions that they might have about MathElf or adding minutes. The overlay has some suggestions for things to point out.
Here's what the buying minutes during a session looks like for students:
When the student chooses a minutes package, they'll be prompted to enter credit card information:
Buying Minutes in the Student App
When a student is not in a session, they can add minutes on the Buy tab in the app.
Here's what the Buy tab looks like for students on iPad:
Here's what the Buy tab looks like for students on iPhone:
Buying Minutes on the MathElf Website
Students can also purchase minutes during or outside of a session by signing in at www.mathelf.com! They should use the same email address and password that they use in the app to sign in.
Extra Info on Buying Minutes
- Minutes can be purchased with any major credit card or prepaid card sponsored by a major credit card company. We don't accept PayPal, iTunes money, Apple Pay, or any other options.
- Prices are listed in US dollars, but students can purchase minutes no matter where they are. The current exchange rate will be used at the time of the transaction.
- After purchasing minutes, auto reload will be on unless students disable it. Auto reload automatically adds minutes to a student's account when they are running low so that their sessions don't get cut off from running out of minutes.